Here we go!

 So I actually started this build about 7 years ago.  I was inspired by this guy's build on instructables.com.   It shouldn't have taken me this long, obviously, but I have had a ton of other projects to do and life also gets in the way.  



And now a word about batteries...

I've had an issue with battery size since the beginning... I started with 6 - 12vdc deep-cell car batteries. This would give me the total of 72 volts I needed for the electric motor I chose. These added a lot of weight and builk to the bike even after the removal of the orginal ICE engine/trans combo. One of my build priorities was to have the bike looking as "stock" as possible.  Meaning, I didn't want it looking like a Frankenstien project bike.  So I started looking for smaller batteries with higher capacities.







I decided to build a battery pack using these lithium-ion batteries.  However, these were a little complicated to assemble than I intended and harder to maintain if something failed.





Don't worry.  I ended up reselling all of these back on Ebay.  I ended up getting 14 of these Nissan Leaf Gen2 Lithiium-Ion cells. Since I only need 10 for my application, the remaining 4 will be spares.


I had originally mounted them in old Apple Mac Pro case like this.  But I may leave the case out completely to save space and weight.  I'll just create a shelf at the bottom of the frame and stack the batteries vertically. 








Here's the current set up....







 <---  Previous Page                               Next Page -->

Comments